Call Today: 908-234-9200
Spinal FracturesBedminister & Newton, NJ
At the New Jersey Spine Institute, all of our procedures are performed by a team of two Board Certified Orthopedic Spine Surgeons to maximize relief and minimize your recovery time.
Contact Us Today!
-Scroll Down For More Information-
A spinal fracture is considered one of the worse injuries one can suffer and is often referred to as a “broken back”. The most common incidence of spinal fractures result from accidents or sudden traumatic injuries. Elderly patients are also more likely to experience this condition as a result of osteoarthritis of the spine.
Symptoms may include:
- Unable to move without pain
- Inability to move the upper or lower extremities
- Weakness and/or tingling sensation
- Loss of consciousness
The different types of Spinal Fracture:
- Compression- This fracture occurs when the front of the vertebra breaks but the back stays stable. The vertebra should remain stable and in position.
- Burst- When both the front and back of the vertebra break as a result of a heavy force. This type of spinal fracture can lead to long-term damage and possible loss of motion.
- Flexion- When a vertebra is pulled away from the spinal cord. Most commonly occur in car accidents or severe falls.
- Transverse- Can occur from lateral movements and bending. Vertebra should remain stable.
While most spinal fractures are the result of severe accidents such as car accidents, severe falls or sports injuries, it is important to note that some fractures can occur genetically or form over time.
If you or someone you know is experiencing severe pain or the inability to move following an accident, it is important to dial 911 and alert EMS right away.
NJ Spine Institute Contact Form